Table of Contents
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) is a self-governing body accepted under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The FSSAI established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which is a Combined Act related to food safety and regulation in India. FSSAI License is responsible for protecting and promoting the health of the public through the regulation and supervision of food safety. in this article we will cover what is all about FSSAI, what FSSAI stands for & the importance of FSSAI.
What is FSSAI?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, which monitors and governs the food industries in India. It is established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act). It ensures that food products go through the quality checks so that there is decrease in food degradation and sale of sub-standard products. FSSAI is also responsible for the registering and licensing of the Food Business Operators (FBO) in India and manages the rules and regulations for running food businesses in India.
Where is Food Safety and Standard Authority located in India?
In India, FSSAI has total 7 offices, which includes 1 head office, which, is in New Delhi. Detail of other 6 regional offices is as under-
- Northern Region – New Delhi
- North Eastern Region – Guwahati
- Eastern Region – Kolkata
- Western Region – Mumbai
- Southern Region – Chennai and Kerala
What is FSSAI License?
FSSAI License is a registration of Food Business Operator (FBO) for running their business. FBO is certified with food free from degradation, having quality standards and is safe to consume by the consumer. Food business operators (FBO) are issued with a 14 – digit number. This FSSAI License number should be printed with the FSSAI Logo on food products.
Product showing FSSAI License number along with FSSAI logo
How many types of License are there in India?
FSSAI Licenses are of 3 types
- Registration (Basic License) – Turnover Up to ₹ 12 Lakh.
- State FSSAI License – Turnover between ₹12 lakh – ₹ 20 Crore.
- Central FSSAI License – Turnover exceeding ₹ 20 Crore.
What is the Function of FSSAI?
The following are the function of FSSAI: –
- Framing of Rules and Regulations to impose the Standards and guidelines in relation to articles of food.
- Imposing mechanisms and guidelines for the authorization of certified bodies engaged in certification of food safety management system.
- Imposing procedure and guidelines for the authorization of laboratories and notification of the authorized laboratories.
- Providing scientific advice and technical support to Governments in framing the policy and rules in various areas. It has a direct or indirect relation with food safety and nutrition’s.
- Collecting and assembling data regarding food consumption, frequency of biological risk, impurity in food.
- Creating a network of information across the country.
- Providing several training programs to people, who intend to get involved in food businesses.
- Contribution towards development of international technical standards for food and sanitary standards.
- Promotion of general awareness about food safety and food standards.
What is the Importance of the FSSAI License in India?
Following are the importance of FSSAI License –
- Safe and Healthy – It ensures that food is verified chemically and hence is safe to consume. The Food business is unsafe to many attribution of food adulteration and use of cheap, unsafe ingredients. Food license protects food business from such attribution. Thus, Food license is a proof of the fact that the food is safe and is perfectly edible without any health consequences.
- Reliability – It makes company reliable. After, obtaining a food license, business can make an official announcement that it is certified by FSSAI. This strategy helps in gaining maximum customers, investors and partners.
- Quality Standards – Food license assures the customer that the food is of high standards. This quality test ensures the high standard of food product, which gives assurance to the customers.
- Improvement in food products – License is obtained only after the verification. This verification is done at a chemical level by checking each and every ingredient, used in the making of the food product.
In case of any query related to FSSAI License, contact your Trustworthy Advisors- Manthan Experts at +91-9643-969-969