GeM stands for Government e-Marketplace which is hosted by Directorate General of Supplies & Disposals (DGS&D). GeM is effective, self sustaining and user friendly portal for making procurement by Government offices.
Briefly explain the Concept of Government e-Marketplace (GeM)?
Government e-Marketplace is a bold step by the Government with the aim to transform the way from where procurement of goods and services can be done by the Government Ministries and Departments, Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and other self-governing bodies of the Central Government. DGS&D with the technical support from Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has developed GeM portal for procurement of both Products & Services. The portal was launched on 9th August 2016.
Government E- Marketplace (GeM) is a platform which facilitates and enables easy online procurement of goods and services required by various government departments, associations, and public sector undertakings (PSUs) in India. The only purpose of the portal is to enhance transparency, efficiency, and speed in public procurement. It offers tools of reverse e-auction, e-bidding, and demand aggregation to facilitate the government users to receive the best value on government e market portal.
What are the features of GeM?
Following are the features of Government e-Marketplace
GeM brings in Transparency. It eliminates human interface in order placement, vendor registration & payment processing to a great extent. Being an open platform, GeM offers no entry barriers to authentic suppliers who wish to do business with the Government. SMS and e-Mail notifications, at each steps are sent to both buyer, head of organization, paying authorities as well as sellers.
Direct purchase on GeM can be done in a matter of minutes and the entire procedure is online. For acquiring higher value on GeM, the bidding or Reverse Auction (RA) facility is among the most transparent and efficient in comparison to e-procurement systems in vogue within the Government sector. Thus, GeM enhances efficiency.
- Secure & Safe
GeM Portal is a completely Secure & Safe platform and all the documents on GeM are E-Signed at different stages by the buyers and sellers.
GeM is having potential to support Make in India. There are filters for selecting goods which are Preferential Market Access (PMA) biddable and those manufactured by Small Scale Industries, allows the Government buyers to procure Make in India and Small Scale Industries goods very easily.
The transparency, efficiency and ease of using the GeM portal has resulted in a valuable reduction in prices on GeM as compare to the tender, Rate Contract and direct purchase rates.
What are the Facilities provided under the GeM?
Facilities provided under the Government e-Marketplace are as follows-
- Product Listing for an Individual, prescribed categories of Goods or Services of common use.
- Estimating, Comparing, Searching & Buying facility.
- Market place for buying majority of common User Items.
- Online Buying of Goods & Services, as and when required.
- Sole window system for aggregating demands and ordering.
- Ease & Transparency of buying.
- Useful for bulk buying at competitive price using Reverse Auction or e-bidding.
- Continuous vendor rating system.
- User friendly dash board for buying and observing supplies and payments.
- Return policy.
Who can buy / purchase through GeM Portal?
All the Central and State Government Ministries or Departments including its attached or subordinate offices, Self-governing bodies, Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and local bodies etc. are authorized to make procurement through GeM portal.
What are the Documents Required for GeM Registration?
Following Documents are mandatorily required for GeM Registration
- Aadhar Card & PAN Card
- Aadhar linked Mobile Number
- Email Id
- Business Address Proof
- Latest ITR
- Cancelled Cheque
- Documents if required-
- GST Certificate
- Trademark Certificate, ISO
- NSIC, DIC, etc
- Type of Products or Services provided by business
For Buyer- (Head of Department, Buyer, Consignee)
- Aadhar Card & PAN Card
- Aadhar linked Mobile Number
- Email Id
- Organization Details
What is the process for GeM Registration?
- Visit GeM Portal
- Fill the online Application Form with all the requisite details.
- After completing the details, Submit & Verify the details.
- Make online Payment to complete the registration.
- Get call for OTP & Profile Verification
- Creation of Profile & Seller Id.
- Username & Password will be shared within 24 hours of Activation.
Why listing of product is important on GeM?
GeM is an e-commerce portal where products and services can be sold to government buyers. Sellers in order to sell their products on GeM portal, shall have to upload product images, product specifications, price details, delivery terms, inspection, and test reports, etc. So that the procurement process for the product & services be smooth & effective & this is possible only when products and services are listed properly.
What is the Objective of GeM Registration?
The objective of getting a GeM registration is to enable a smooth and effective procurement process for the requirement of government offices. It Increases the transparency between private sellers and government buyers.
What are the Benefits of GeM for Buyers & Sellers?
GeM Benefits for Buyers-
- Full product listing for individual categories of Goods & Services.
- Facility of Search, Compare, Select and Buy.
- Online buying of Goods and Services, whenever required.
- Ease & Transparent buying.
- Vendor rating system is Continuous.
- User-friendly dash board.
- Easy Return policy.
GeM Benefits for Sellers-
- Access to all the Government departments directly.
- One stop shop with minimum efforts for marketing.
- One stop shop for bids or reverse auction on products & services.
- Suggestion Facility of new products available to sellers.
- Dynamic pricing
- Seller friendly dashboard
- Compatible & uniform purchase process.
If followed to its logical conclusion, GeM may eventually emerge as the National Public Procurement Portal (NPPP), keeping with the view to its Global best practices. Our professionals at Manthan Experts will help businesses to get the online GeM enrolment effectively for pan India. In case of any Query related to GeM Portal Registration, contact Manthan Experts.Seek Assistance for Registration of GeM