FSSAI – Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
FSSAI is the regulatory body which manages the safety and standards of food products. It is authorized by the Government of India and the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. FSSAI provides certification in the form of Registration & Licensing to Food business operators (FBOs).
The FSSAI have two kinds of approval procedures
Registration is generally for all those who are involved in petty food business. Such as petty retailers, hawkers including street food vendors. Basically, all business operators with an annual turnover up to Rs.12 lakh comes under this category.
License is for all others who are involved in food business but are not classified as a petty food business. Thus, they do not fit in the criteria for a registration. License is required when an Annual Turnover is more than Rs. 12 lakh.
What is FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI Registration is a basic license and is required for all the Food Business Operators (FBO) involved in the small-scale food business. Any FBO with an annual turnover of not more than Rs. 12 lakh are covered under this Category. For example- FSSAI Registration is required to Petty retailers dealing in food products
Why is FSSAI Registration required?
All the Food Business Operators(FBO) involved in the manufacturing, processing, storage, distribution and sale of food products must have to obtain FSSAI Registration or License.
FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License both are slightly different from each other. There difference depends upon the size and nature of the business. FBOs should obtain the necessary registration or license.
Who are eligible to apply for FSSAI Registration?
Petty food businesses are eligible to apply for FSSAI registration and these includes –
✔ Businesses manufacturing or selling food items either by themselves or via retailer, hawkers including street food vendors or a temporary stall owner.
✔ Businesses distributing foods in any religious or social gathering except a caterer.
✔ Food businesses which includes small scale industries or such other industries related to food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakh and whose –
- Production size of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) shall not exceed 100 kg/liter per day.
- Collection and Procurement of milk up to 500 liters per day or up to 5 metric ton (MT) of per annum.
- Edible oil processing units, including the units that produces edible oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit with a turnover up to 100 liter per day.
- Meat processing units with production of more than 100kgs per day or 30 MT per day.
- Butcher capacity ismaximum up to2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day.
- Cold storage which is temperature controlled and having a turnover up to Rs12 lakh per annum.
- Wholesalers, retailers, distributors, and suppliers having an annual turnover up to Rs 12 lakh.
- Owners of dhaba and other food vending establishments along with clubs and canteens having turnover up to Rs 12 lakh per annum.
- Hotels and Restaurants with turnover up to Rs 12 lakh per annum.
- Transporters having an annual turnover up to Rs 12 lakh.
What are Petty food Businesses?
Petty food businesses are some of the most demanded sources of food and snacks in India. For example- petty retailers, hawkers (including street food vendors) etc. Generally, all Food Business operators (FBO) with an annual turnover of less than Rs 12 lakh comes under this category.
What are the Procedures for obtaining FSSAI Registration?
Following are the Procedure for obtaining FSSAI Registration-
✔ FSSAI registration is initiated by submission of an application in Form A to the Food and Safety Department.
✔ This application may be accepted or rejected by the Department within 7 days from the date of the receipt of an application.
✔ If the application is accepted, then the department will allow a registration certificate along with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
✔ The certificate of registration should be displayed by the FBOs at the place of business during the business hours.
What are the documents required for FSSAI Registration?
Following are the documents required for FSSAI Registration-
✔ FORM-A should be completed and signed
✔ Photo Identity Proof of the FBOs owner
- PAN Card
- Latest Passport Size Photograph
✔ Proofs of Possession of the Premises( Land Papers or Rental Agreement)
✔ Following documents if required-
- Articles Of Association (AOA)
- Certificate of incorporation
- In Case of partnership Business, Partnership Deed.
✔ List of food items FBO will be dealing with.
Apply for FSSAI Registration
What are the benefits of FSSAI Registration?
Following are the benefits of applying for FSSAI Registration-
- Brand Recognition– The Registration helps in recognizing the brand image of the business which further helps in growth of the business.
- Consumer Awareness – All Food Business Operators must know that a FSSAI Registration adds the benefits of a reliability & loyalty among customers.
- FSSAI Logo – It is a mark of validity and an assurance to the consumers that the food is safe to consume.
- Business Expansion – The goodwill of the Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) will make an organization available and effortless to expand.
- Import or Export of product – Helps in regulating, manufacturing, storage, distribution, etc. in import and export of products.
- Legal Protection – FSSAI Registration is followed under the regulatory body and legal action can be taken for any non- compliance.
What are the Consequences of Non-Compliances in FSSAI?
According to the Section 55 of Chapter 9 of the Food Safety and Standards Act(FSS), 2006, if any Food Business Operator (FBO) or importer fails to comply with the requirements under the act without any basic or reasonable ground is liable for penalty which may extend to two lakh rupees as per the directions of the Food Safety Officer.
How to renew FSSAI Registration after the expiry?
Renewal of FSSAI Registration should be done before the expiry of its validity period. In case the renewal of the application date is missed then, a fresh FSSAI license is to be applied to continue your food business operations.
Earlier FSSAI had launched Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) in the States/UTs of Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Gujarat, Goa, Odisha, Manipur, Delhi, Chandigarh and Ladakh w.e.f. 01st June 2020.
But from 1st November 2020, it is operational to PAN India level. This system replaces the existing online Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) with the different portal. Existing Users are now required to login through same user IDs and passwords.
Food Business Operators (FBOs) having Registration/ License in the premises at Indian Railways and concerned Authorities will have to continue to operate at Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) till further announcement.
Food Business Operators (FBO) in PAN-India will continue to receive Consumers Grievances and responses in time-bound manner at FLRS only. FBOs and Authorities have to visit FLRS regularly for Consumer Grievance Module until its upgraded version is developed in FoSCoS.
FSSAI had launched Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) from 1st November 2020 replacing the existing Food Licensing and Registration System.
In case of any Query for FSSAI Registration then contact Manthan Experts for immediate relief.