Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) authenticates the digital signature of the DSC holder and is authorized by the government licensed Certifying Authority.
What is Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)?
Digital Signature Certificate (DSC)
Digital Signature Certificate is the e-form of paper certificates or physical certificates which are issued by the certifying authorities to certify and validate the identity of the certificate holder.
DSC certifies the
- Name, Email Id and Address of the user
- Date of issuance of certificate
- Name of the Certifying Authority
*Digital Signatures are used to sign the Electronic Forms.
Who issues the Digital Signature Certificates?
DSCs are issued by the Licensed Certifying Authority (CA). According to Section 24 of the Information Technology Act, 2000, Certifying Authority is a person who is authorized to issue Digital Signature Certificates.
*In India, E-Mudra is one of the Certifying Authorities to issue the DSCs.
Visit http://cca.gov.in/digital_signature.html for detailed information about Certifying Authority.
What are the benefits of DSC?
- With the advent of DSC, one can digitally sign the electronic document instead of signing the physical documents manually. Electronic Documents can easily be signed and sent through mail or other online platform. Thus, it helps to save the time and cost as no physical presence is required for identity authorization.
- Secondly, DSC makes the data more secure and safe as the document cannot be altered or edited after the E-signature.
- It is required to fulfil the Government Compliances whereby the DSC is mandatorily required to cross check and verify the business transactions or prescribed activities.
- It boosts the confidence of the receiver of digitally signed document or data as it ensures the authenticity of the documents.
- DSC is also used to comply Statutory Compliances like the Income Tax Return can only be filed by using Digital Signature Certificates.
- One person can have more than one DSC. That is one for personal use and the other one for business use.
- Digitally signed documents are admissible in Courts as evidence under the Evidence Act, 1872.
- Digital Signatures are mandatorily required to get the GST Registration.
What are the documents required for obtaining DSC?
A. For Individual Digital Signature Certificate
1. Identity Proof of the Applicant
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Photo Identity Card issued by Government Authority
- Bank Account Passbook
2. Address Proof of the Applicant
- Voter Id Card
- Aadhar Card
- Driving License
- Utility Bills
- Bank Statement (of previous 3 months)
3. Soft Copy of the Photograph
4. Identity Proof of the Attesting Officer
- Self-Attested Copy of Identity Card or of Address Proof of the Officer
B. For Organization DSC
1. Authorization Letter
2. Proof of the Organization
3. Identity Proof
4. Authorized Signatory Proof
What is the process of obtaining DSC?
1. Log on to the Certifying Authority Portal that is https://www.e-mudhra.com/. There will be an option of “Buy Certificate”.
2. Click on the Buy Certificate option.
Fill the information listed as below as per your need –
|Usage Type||Class Type||User Type||Certificate Validity||Certificate Type|
|GST||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|MCA(ROC)||Class 3||Individual||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature|
|Income Tax||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/ Both|
|EPF||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|Foreign Trade||DGFT||Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature|
|E-Tender||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|Trademark||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|E-Ticketing||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|Document Signer||Class 3||Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Document Signer|
|Director’s KYC||Class 3||Individual||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature|
|CBSE School||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|Multiple Purposes||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|Other Purposes||Class 3||Both Individual and Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature/Encryption/Both|
|DGFT||Organization||1year/ 2 year/ 3 year||Signature|
After filling these information as per your requirement, click on the proceed for further process.
3. Thereafter, a new tab of details will be opened. Fill all the necessary details as follows –
- Mobile Number
- Company Name (If applicable)
- GSTIN (If applicable)
- Address – District + State+ Country + Postal Code
4. Lastly make the payment online through Debit Card or Internet Banking.
5. Next, Download the Application Form.
6. Once the payment is done then user will receive a link for documents submission through mail. Upload the documents in the link.
7. Subsequently, user will receive the credentials to download the DSC in the token or the token will be sent to the user within 24 hours if requested by the user.
Can DSC be renewed?
The Digital Signature Certificates are issued for a certain period which is either 1 year or 2 year or 3 years. When the Certificate validity is about to expire then the certificate holder can apply to renew the certificate.
Digital Signature Certificate is a digital security mechanism to certify the identity of the DSC holder and to authenticate the document. Thus, the usage of DSC is widely applicable for getting various schemes and organizations.
Get the CA Assisted DSC with ease online by uploading the required documents.